APPLYING FOR STEPS YOUTH REGIONAL AFFAIRS DIALOGUE 2019
Application Deadline: 17 February 2019
From 2 to 9 August 2019 the NTU-University Scholars Programme supported by Temasek Foundation International, is organizing the inaugural STEP Youth Regional Affairs Dialogue 2019 that will take place in Nanyang Technological University campus in Singapore.
If you are an undergraduate above the age of 18, and are interested in enhancing your leadership skills and broadening your understanding of geopolitics, we invite you to participate in the Dialogue.
Objectives of the Forum
1. To nurture and develop future leaders with a regional and global appreciation of Asia’s interwoven geopolitical structure, with a particular emphasis on economic and societal change.
2. To establish connections between undergraduate ‘scholars’ from ASEAN, East and South Asia with the long-term objective of enhancing closer and more efficient relations between the future leaders of these countries, particularly in the areas of business, government and development.
Programme of the Dialogue
The Dialogue will gather around 75 youths from Asia. Aspiring youth leaders will have an opportunity to develop an appreciation of Asia’s interwoven geopolitical structure through discussions on economics, politics and society and foster an understanding of governance and policies across Asia as they build friendships through cross-cultural exchanges.
Further information on social activities and logistics will be made available in due course.
1. Be at least 18 years of age.
2. Must have completed at least 2 semesters of study with the home University; outstanding student leader with a strong academic and co-curricular involvement as well as ability to act as youth representative to the University and country.
3. Citizen and residing in the country of the home University.
4. Be able to operate in English, which is the working language of the programme. Please attach your highest English certification (eg. IELTS, TOEFL), if any. You may be interviewed through a telephone/skype interview to show your proficiency in English.
5. Be able to travel and commit to the entire period of the dialogue in Singapore.
6. Recommended by your home University.
Successful applicants will receive travel support which includes airfare, accommodation in Singapore, living allowance, transport, travel insurance and other related expenses.
Applicants are expected to complete every section in the application form, and obtain a recommendation from the home University before emailing the application form in pdf format to the organizer.
The application form requires you to write a 500-word personal statement based on the following:
As a potential participant in the Youth Regional Affairs dialogue, what values and skills do you anticipate being able to acquire and how might you be able to apply it back in your home country?
The inaugural STEPS Youth Regional Affairs Dialogue 2019 is designed for a maximum of 75 participants from around Asia. The selection criteria will be based on principles of equitable geographical representation, balanced gender distribution, diversity of backgrounds (e.g. age, areas of studies and additional experience), and the quality of the personal statement.
A Committee from NTU-USP and Temasek Foundation International will select the participants.
Where to send your application
If your e-mail is successfully received, you will receive an email reply from us. You are not required to mail your documents to us.
Conditions to Participate
Full time attendance at the Forum by the selected participants is mandatory. Participants should be committed to invest time to prepare for and actively participate in the Youth Forum.
Deadline for Application
The application deadline is 5pm (Singapore time) on Sunday, 17 February 2019.
Please double-check the accuracy of all information you provide. Note that you must provide all information truthfully. Any false data or statement made will subject you to be disqualified from the programme.
When we send you an offer, you will be given only one week to accept it.
Unfortunately, if we are unable to contact you, we may have to reject you even if you were among our top choices, and give the place to someone on the standby list.
Successful applicants will be notified. If you do not hear from us by 31 Mar 2019, you may consider your application unsuccessful.
We hope you understand that we may not be able to answer individual queries about the result. An applicant may be rejected not because he/she did not meet the requirements, but the decision could be because there are other exceptional applicants. This programme is a competitive one and we expect a high number of applicants, but only 75 will be selected.
We wish you all the best, and look forward to receiving your application.