1. All About UIC Research Project – Global
Underwood International College is excited to present the 8th UIC Research Project – Global, 2020. Three teams of UIC students were selected last year and gained priceless learning experience. It is an opportunity to challenge yourself and grow intellectually. Any UIC students who are interested in performing a self-directed research project anywhere around the world can apply for the program.
In general, students can choose any research topic that enhances and expands their classroom learning and visit any place around the world for their field research. Students are encouraged to arrange meetings and interviews with institutions relevant to the research (e.g. research institutions, colleges, government agencies, NGOs and so on). In addition, with the help from a world-renowned Yonsei faculty, participants will learn each process of a formal research: developing research questions, writing a proposal, conducting a field research, analyzing data, and presenting the results in oral and written forms.
This year, due to COVID-19, UIC prepares a new format of UIC Research Project – Global. Instead of visiting site abroad, you can utilize all indirect resources including books, reports, statistics, internet, etc. This will be an opportunity to investigate in depth regarding your topic.
Upon completion of the research, students will get 1 credit for summer session. Various opportunities to showcase their research experience will be provided as well. Refer to this link for finding out more about the program.
2. Application Requirements
· The program is open to all UIC students.
· Students can apply individually or as a team. The number of students per team should be 3 or less.
· Students who are on the leave of absence can apply for it.
· Students who are in their final semester cannot apply for it.
· Students who cannot enroll in 2020 summer session cannot apply for it.
B. What to Submit (Refer to the attached file)
① Entry form signed by a research advisor (appendix 1).
② A proposal with a maximum of 1,000 words (within 3 pages). The proposal should contain a title, your name, and a student ID number. In addition, you must include a very detailed itinerary and budget plan of the research trip in the proposal (appendix 2).
C. Role of Research Advisor
· Each team should have its own research advisor.
· Any Yonsei faculty member can be a research advisor.
· The advisor will review the research proposal, guide participants through each stage, and monitor their field research and final research report.
· P/NP grading recommendation will be made by the research advisor.
· The research advisor is not required to accompany students for field research.
· Selected students will get 1 credit under UIC Research Project – Global (P/NP graded 1 credit UIC elective summer course).
· Research grant: up to KRW 500,000 per individual (a team of two will receive KRW 1,000,000)
· The amount of funding can vary depending on field research destinations and expenses that may occur during field work.
· Opportunities to showcase their research on various occasions.
E. Selection Procedure
Each submission will be carefully reviewed by UIC faculty judges based on the judging criteria listed below. The winning team(s) will be notified within 10 days of the entry deadline.
· Well-formulated research goals & objectives
· Clear explanation of research procedure
· Explanation of research design & methodology
· Concrete, feasible, and meticulous itinerary
· Practical application/potential impact of the research
F. Things to Know
· Selected students must attend orientations, showcases, and UIC events that may involve the UIC Research Project-Global.
· Selected students must enroll in one credit summer session course UIC Research Project-Global. Registration fee is not covered.
· Photos and documents pertaining to the research must be available to UIC upon request.
· Participants cannot combine their research with other personal purposes.
3. Important Dates & Contact Information
· June 1st, 2020: Submission of Entry Form, Proposal, & Rules and Regulations. Please submit them via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) instead of vising the UIC office in Sinchon campus (Daewoo Hall Annex #301) or Songdo campus (Veritas Hall B #420).
· June 5th, 2019: Announcement of Selection Results. Please check it on the UIC homepage.
· June 9th, 2019: Orientation for the 8th UIC Research Project – Global, 2020. It will be held on-line using ZOOM from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.
· June 29th, 2019: Begin of Research
· July 24th, 2019: Field Research Report Due
· August 14th, 2019: Final Research Report Due
For further inquiries, contact UIC academic advisor Mihyun Kim (email@example.com).