Full-time Faculty Position in History (Non-tenure Track concentrated on Teaching):
Underwood International College, Yonsei University, South Korea
The Underwood International College (UIC) of Yonsei University invites applications for a full-time faculty (non-tenure track concentrated on teaching) position as Assistant Professor of History at the Yonsei International Campus in Songdo, located within the greater Seoul metropolitan region. Area of specialization is open, but those with interests in Global and Comparative History, or who specialize in East or South East Asia, Africa, the Islamic World, or eras prior to 1600, are especially encouraged to apply. Candidates should hold a PhD in history at the time of appointment and a firm commitment to undergraduate liberal arts education.
Teaching responsibilities are 12 credit-hours (4 classes) per semester. The starting date is March 1, 2020. Compensation includes a competitive salary, generous health insurance, and other benefits. Yonsei University’s Underwood International College is a highly selective program at South Korea’s most prestigious private university, and combines the intimate atmosphere and low student-faculty ratio of a liberal arts college with the resources of a major research university. All instruction is in English, and the student body represents over 70 different countries. As part of Yonsei University’s continuing effort to increase faculty diversity, we are only accepting applications from non-Korean citizens.
Due to university regulations concerning transparency in the hiring process, interested applicants should apply online at http://uic.yonsei.ac.kr/professorship/application.asp and submit copies of the required documents listed below by Oct. 31, 2019.
1. Applicants must have at least one year of research or teaching experience after obtaining a Ph.D. or equivalent degree.
2. Applicants must be legally eligible to work at a private university in Korea.
3. Applicants must agree with the general Christian education principles espoused by Yonsei University.
1. Completed Online Application Form (from the link above)
2. Diplomas (or Certificate of Graduation) and transcripts (each from Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Ph.D.)
* You can submit copies of documents, but original document must be submitted upon request.
3. Two copies of List of Research Publications form (Attached - List of Research Publications)
* Main achievements (up to three) should be indicated in the “Main Achievement” section of the form.
4. USB or CD containing #3, the “List of Research Publication” file (keep the original file format)
5. USB or CD containing the file of Ph.D. dissertation (PDF/MS-Word/HWP format).
* #4 and #5 can be saved to one USB (or CD).
6. Original or a copy of publications published after March 2016
* Achievements to be published can be accepted when supporting documents are submitted.
7. Two or more recommendation letters (from professors or professionals in your field)
* Recommendation letters can be submitted by e-mail.
* Applicant’s full name and UIC Common Curriculum (history) should be specified in the letter.
* When submitting an original recommendation letter: a recommender (professor or professional) must seal and sign on the form
* When submitting a recommendation letter by e-mail: a recommender should send it directly to the Office of Underwood International College(firstname.lastname@example.org) and the image file (in pdf, jpg, etc.) stamped or signed by the recommender should be sent as an attachment (letters submitted in editable format such as hwp, doc, etc. will not be accepted).
8. A signed Consent to Collection and Use of Personal Information form (Attached - Consent to Collection and Use of Personal Information form)
9. Curriculum vitae and cover letter (full name and “UIC Common Curriculum (history)” should be specified in the letter), detailing teaching interests.
10. A statement of teaching philosophy, which may also include a summary of teaching evaluations or sample syllabi.
These documents should be sent by mail to the following address:
Ms. Jeesun Kim
Daewoo Annex Hall, Room 301
Yonsei University 50 Yonsei-ro, Seodaemun-gu,
Seoul 03722, Republic of Korea
Prospective applicants are encouraged to look at our website at http://uic.yonsei.ac.kr. Short-listed candidates will be asked to schedule a video-conferencing interview. For further questions about the position, please contact Prof. Chad Denton (email@example.com).