2021 9th UIC Research Project – Global
1. All About UIC Research Project – Global
Underwood International College is excited to present the 2021 9th UIC Research Project – Global. It is an opportunity to challenge yourself and grow intellectually. Any UIC students who are interested in performing a self-directed research project anywhere around the global can apply for the program.
Students can choose any research topic that enhances and expands their classroom learning and visit any place around the global for their field research. This year, due to COVID-19, UIC prepares a new format of UIC Research Project – Global. Instead of vising site abroad, you can utilize all indirect resources including books, reports, statistics, internet, etc. This will be an opportunity to investigate in depth regarding your topic.
With the help from a world-renowned Yonsei faculty, participants will learn each process of a formal research: developing research questions, writing a proposal, conducting a field research, analyzing data, and presenting the results in oral and written forms.
A monetary award up to KRW 500,000 will be granted to each selected student. Upon completion of the research, students will get 1 credit for summer session. Various opportunities to showcase their research experience will be provided as well. Refer to this link for finding out more about the program.
2. Application Requirements
- The program is open to all UIC students.
- Students can enter individually or as a team. The number of students per team should be 4 or less.
- Students who are on the leave of absence can apply for it.
- Students who are in their final semester cannot apply for it.
- Students who cannot enroll in 2021 summer semester cannot apply for it.
B. What to Submit (Refer to the attached file)
① Entry form signed by a research advisor (appendix 1).
② A proposal with a maximum of 1,000 words (within 3 pages). The proposal should contain a title, your name, and a student ID number. In addition, you must include a very detailed itinerary and budget plan of the research trip in the proposal (appendix 2).
C. Role of Research Advisor
- Each team should have its own research advisor.
- Any Yonsei faculty member can be a research advisor.
- The advisor will review the research proposal, guide participants through each stage, and monitor their field research and final research report.
- P/NP grading recommendation will be made by the research advisor.
- The research advisor is not required to accompany students for field research.
- Selected students will get 1 credit under UIC Research Project –Global (P/NP graded 1 credit UIC elective summer course).
- Research funding up to KRW 500,000 per individual (e.g. a team of two can be granted up to KRW 1,000,000)
- The amount of funding can vary depending on field research destinations and expenses that may occur during field work.
- Opportunities to showcase their research on various occasions.
E. Selection Procedure
Each submission will be carefully reviewed by UIC faculty judges based on the judging criteria listed below. The winning team(s) will be notified within 10 days of the entry deadline.
- Well-formulated research goals & objectives
- Clear explanation of research procedure
- Explanation of research design & methodology
- Concrete, feasible, and meticulous itinerary
- Practical application/potential impact of the research
F. Things to Know
- Mid-research work in Korea must be completed by July 17th, 2021.
- Photos and documents pertaining to the research must be available to UIC upon request.
- Participants cannot combine their research with other personal purposes.
- Selected students must attend orientations, showcases, and UIC events that may involve the UIC Research Project-Global.
- Selected students must enroll in one credit summer semester course UIC Research Project-Global. Registration fee is not covered.
3. Important Dates & Contact Information
- May 1st, 2021: Submission of Entry Form, Proposal, & Rules and Regulations. Please submit them via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) due to COVID-19 instead of vising the UIC office in Sinchon campus (Daewoo Hall Annex #301) or Songdo campus (Veritas Hall B #420).
- May 14th, 2021: Announcement of Selection Results. Please check it on the UIC homepage.
- May 20th, 2021: Orientation for the 9th UIC Research Project – Global, 2021. It will be held on-line using ZOOM from 6:00pm to 8:00pm due to COVID-19.
- TBA : Pay tuition for 2021 9th UIC Research Project – Global
- Jun. 28th, 2021: Begin of Research
- Jul. 17th, 2021: Mid Research Report Due
- Aug. 14th, 2021: Final Research Report Due
For further inquiries, contact UIC academic advisor professor Mihyun Kim (email@example.com).