Declaring a major
UIC students are required to select their 1st major from within their division at the end of the second semester.
Changing a major: within UIC
Change to a Major Outside the Division
- In principle, students cannot change their major to a major outside of the division in UIC. In other words, students cannot transfer to a different major outside of their division within UIC. In order to change to a major outside of their division, the student has to go through readmission.
- The guidelines for readmission are as follows. For details, please contact your academic advisor:
A student may obtain permission for readmission only once and only if there is a vacancy in the normal quota. Anyone subject to any of the following conditions is banned from re-admission:
- Dismissed for concurrently registering at another college/university.
- Dismissed after readmission, transfer, transfer for second degree, change of college/department.
- Dismissed as a result of university's disciplinary judgment.
- Students dismissed because of poor academic standing are not allowed to apply for readmission for two years.
Change to a Major Within the Division
- A change in major affiliation, when approved, may not become effective until the beginning of the next semester.
- Changing a major is allowed only once. Switching to a major outside of the division to which the student was initially admitted is prohibited.